Did you know that Christopher Columbus was the first European to taste pineapple? In 1493 when he visited South America he tasted this fruit and took it back to Europe. Today it is available worldwide.
This strange looking delicious fruit has many surprising facts that you might not have heard before.
- As I mentioned earlier, Pineapple is indigenous to South America. Today Hawaii, Philippines, Costa Rica and Brazil are world’s largest pineapple producers.
- When it rains on a sunny day in Hawaii, local people refer to it as Pineapple Juice
- One pineapple tree produces only a single pineapple in a single season. And it takes almost 3 years for a pineapple to reach maturation.
- Pineapple contains a proteolytic enzyme bromelain. It attacks your tongue and cheeks while when you eat pineapple. This is the reason sometimes it hurts your tongue. However our saliva and gastric acids protect our body.
- Bromelain has lot of health benefits. It prevents the growth of tumor cells, thus help preventing cancer. It is also anti-inflammatory and digestive aid.
- Pineapple contain manganese which helps in bone growth and health. Pineapple is also helps with bowel movement and can help cure constipation.
So eat this delicious fruit by cutting it into slices, drink its juice or simply make a Pina Colada from it and enjoy!